Dusting off an old blog is good for the soul is it not? Instead of excuses of life, love, and hectic schedules – let’s just jump to the content.
This weekend Bill and I will be volunteering as Nashville host’s the NCAA Division 1 Women’s Final Four! We’re so looking forward to it. Bill originally found a random link somewhere that called out for volunteers 3 months ago. We went through a signup process that included listing available times and events that we could work and then didn’t hear much until about 10 days ago.
We then went to an orientation at the West Stadium Club of LP Field, and there we learned not only how Nashville got to host this event, but all the events that Nashville will put on to entertain those guests coming into the city. Fascinating info really, and it made us look forward to seeing the city host this.
Spoiler alert – I still feel like a Yankee! So this event makes me remember all the changes and work that Indianapolis went through to host the NFL Superbowl in 2012. Granted this is on a smaller scale, but I believe that in order to host MEGA EVENTS such as the Superbowl – cities must spend time hosting events like this as stepping stones in city advancement.
It seems that Nashville is turning a corner in its tourism, and I see events like this Women’s Final Four as an excellent showcase for that. Just last year this city hosted the SEC tournament for NCAA Men’s basketball, AND Nashville opened a brand new convention center downtown called the Music City Center. Downtown has also seen many restaurants and a several new hotels pop up.
To make Bill and I even more excited to be involved we were given free clothes. We as volunteers will wear lanyards with badges and a uniform of khakis and our shiny new polo shirts and Nike pullovers emblazoned with the NCAA Final Four logo. We feel fancy.
Here are some quick facts about what Nashville is about to see out of hosting the NCAA Women’s Basketball Final Four.
- Dates of Basketball Games: April 6th – 8th
- Dates of Final Four events in Nashville: April 5th – 8th
- Nashville put in a bid to host this in 2008.
- All 3 games (two Final Four games and the Championship) will be held in Bridgestone Arena.
- For tickets to the games visit this site: http://www.ncaa.com/womens-final-four
- Events leading up to the games include
- Pep rallies & a parade of teams
- a 4-Kay run – instead of 5K. Get it? – to commemorate of the late NC State head women’s basketball coach Kay Yow.
- Tourney Town – an indoor free fan festival
- Broadway Bounce – A free event featuring several thousand youth dribbling their way through downtown Nashville
For a complete list of events here in Nashville visit this link – http://www.ncaa.com/womens-final-four/schedule
We will be working set up for the 4-Kay as well as the finish line of the Broadway bounce on Saturday. If you can identify us in our official uniforms, say hello!